12 October 2011

Helpless.


"I have hope"

Helpless.
That's how I feel, that's how I've been feeling for the past two days.
There is nothing I can do, but write.
Nothing I can write will be enough. Nothing I can say will change the facts.
Thousands of miles away from Cairo, it in no way hurts less. It maybe even hurts more. 
I know this is the beginning of the end. I know tomorrow will be better. I know.
But that doesn't make the pain go away. It doesn't stop my heart from aching. It's not good enough. I don't want tomorrow to be better. I want today to be better.
I can't take more people dying. I can't stand hearing more screams. I can't live with feeling helpless. 
I don't want this post to be about politics, because it isn't. It's about young people, twenty-something year olds killed. Twenty five of them. In one day. In a matter of hours. How can that be acceptable? if that doesn't shake the world, if that is not a wake up call for everyone, then what is? 
 How those people sleep at night, knowing that someone lost their son, their father, or the love of their lives because of them, is beyond me. 
I took this photo months ago. I had enough hope to fill a city. I still have hope, but just enough hope to keep me going through the days. 
 I am mourning the loss of some of this country's best. My heart goes out to the families. 
May all our martyrs rest in peace. And let's make sure their blood doesn't go in vain. They died for a cause, so let's keep up the fight, for them. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Farah! I know words aren't much in such sad circumstances, but I wanted to send you some comfort. Please don't lose hope! Your people have achieved great things this year, whatever hardships lie ahead I am sure the solidarity and will of the Egyptian people will overcome them.Stay positive and follow your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, you have no idea how much your words mean to me. And I promise I will never lose hope.
    Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little late, I'm sorry, but I also want leave a comment here. As Apple N Rust said, don't lose hope! During the revolution in your country I spent hours in front of the TV and I was so enthusiastic, and though terrible things have happened now, don't forget that feeling everyone had in spring. Throwbacks - as sad as they are - probably are just normal on the way you've taken, but if you go on just like you started, you will succeed! Argh, in this sort of postings I always realise that English isn't my native language, I'm sorry, would like to be able to chose my words more carefully!
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete